I’ve been asked a couple of times recently for progress updates, so thought I would share the current status in March 2019 🙂
The wheels are still turning, although as always its taking longer than expected to iron out the numerous details that need to be finalised. I guess that’s part of the problem of not working to a deadline – it can take as long as it takes. Having said that, I’m really looking forward to the point where I can switch from the LOM scenario to the DDR scenario in the future… I think it will bring a new sense of progression to the whole project.
So what are the main headlines outstanding until a Unity build can be released ?
- Main menu system
- Graphic settings screens
- Load / save game screens
- In-game Guidance text overlays
- Animations for 3D characters in front
- Add frozen wastes to terrain map
- Add location detail maps
- Final details on various graphical items
The actual core game itself is playable at the moment, so it is very much about finishing the above supporting screens together with finalising quite a few graphical details.
This last couple of weeks I decided to take a detour from Windows and try to build the project for the Mac OSX platform. It’s the first time ever that I did anything on a Mac, so also a bit of a learning curve to get through. Also the first time I applied cross-platform considerations to my development, so there was some rework to be done in removing dependence on Windows libraries in the core plugin. That and some specific considerations for the Mac platform (like the path separator being opposite to Windows!), and the project finally got built successfully and runs quite nicely on a MacBook Pro around ~25fps.
Now that the detours over, I’ll be getting back to the main open points and pushing on to completion. I’ll leave you with a short clip of some initial steps in the game… going South from the Tower of the Moon, and coming upon the Hand of Dark with it’s audio/visuals 🙂